Monday, July 27, 2009

Laughter....and lifejacket wearing monkeys

Recently, I was viewing an email sent by an old friend. Finding it rather amusing, I shared it with some coworkers. It was various pictures with humorous captions beneath. Anyway, some of them were so good that one friend I shared it with doubled over with laughter, then began coughing and grabbing his chest. As he is an older gentleman, I immediately thought he was having a heart attack. Thankfully, no. But that got my brain working.
Is laughter truly the best medicine if it causes sudden death? I mean, yeah, you'd go out with a smile on your face. But wouldn't be easier to see your doctor and receive a lollipop or sticker afterwards like my kids do? They leave with a smile on. Usually.
I love laughing. I rarely do it anymore. Whether it's because of chronic depression, or because I have desensitized myself to humor after years of devouring all things comedic in nature, I don't know. But, there is nothing like a good belly laugh. I am talking the knee slapping, hunched over, red faced, almost crying, mouth open w/o sound, borderline hysteria kind of laughing. They are few and far between, but always worth the wait.
Nowadays, I usually find this kind of amusement in watching other people, as opposed to jokes, pictures, comedies, etc. Yep. Your fellow man can be a virtual comic strip character come to life.
Trips, stumbles, "accidents", fashions, gaffs, the accidental passing of gas, walking into stuff, it doesn't matter. Not necessarily slapstick stuff. Just the unplanned, unrehearsed, unscripted, everyday things that humans do. Maybe that means my friend having a heart attack WOULD have been funny. It sure was funny watching him get close.

As for the monkey.....well, that was from the email. Since I already wrote about monkeies, I'll skip this. Besides, that picture wasn't very funny. No barrel or anything.

BlogCatalog

Humor & Funny Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory